Thursday, June 10, 2010

Parenting skills...



(Yes, the above photos is my four year old with a very real hammer and very sharp nails-some may think that's not the best afternoon activity for a four year old but he came up with the idea on his own and it has been occupying him for the better part of an hour-We are just testing out that tetanus vaccination.)

As of late I have been self-examining and questioning my parenting skills, or techniques rather. After Zane received his 5 vaccinations he also received 3 super awesome blue camo band-aids. The band-aids were so cool he didn't want to take them off. I don't really blame him, who really likes the feeling of an adhesive being ripped from your skin, I know I don't. I suggested that he get in the bath so that the warm water would loosen them up a little. He still protested. This was day two of the band-aids and I didn't think it was very sanitary for him to have those bacteria breeding grounds sitting so close to his injection sites. So I say to him, "Zane, we have to get those band-aids off or you might get and infection and they will have to cut off your leg". Really? To a four year old. I really didn't think much of what I said until, a few days later, he runs up to Lee and announces "Daddy I got my band-aids off so they won't have to cut off my leg!". Lovely.
I'm currently reading a book about effective ways to communicate with kids, I'm thinking the above scare tactic won't be on the list of suggestions.

1 comment:

brooke said...

my kids would love the hammering activity... but I may wait a while, or do it 1 kid at a time